Friday, May 30, 2008

Listen to your mother

Mothers are always right. Always. I have so many things I want to compain about lately, and when I think about all of them, it all comes down to my mom being right all along. So thanks mom, and sorry I don't listen :). Let me explain. First of all, I would like to publicly apologize for the many times that my parents would walk into the house after a long day of work and I'd be watching Lizzie McGuire or like making cookies or something and completely be ignoring the fact that my friends and I had filthified the house. Or the times that my friends and I would stay up late making all kinds of noise keeping my parents up... well- keeping my mom up. Because now, I'm on the other side of that. Because now, when I walk into the house or am trying to sleep and am presented with the same problem... I tend to think things like, "do you have a brain?", "do you realize how inconsiderate this is?", "Do you realize that there are indeed other people in the world?". Don't worry- I quickly get over those rude thoughts, because I know from time to time I'm guilty of it too. But seriously- that is reason number one why my mom is right. She gave me this list of things to do to be a good roommate and have fun in college and stuff (yes mom, I read that and still have it), and holy moly was she dead on. Every single person at BYUI needs one of those lists.

Secondly, I have been the worlds hugest worry wart lately. Am I going to go to graduate school? Is any graduate school going to accept me? I have nothing to offer them. What is going to happen with Michael? Will I find a job? How am I going to afford this or that? And my mom constantly says, "Jenni, things have worked out well for you so far, they will continue to do so". And I'm like yeah, yeah. But believe it or not, she's right again! I DID find a job, I'm going to graduate from college, and I"m surrounded by people to help me.

And something else, I work at D.I... and proud of it :) but contrary to what you might believe, it is not the most glamorous job in the world. I spend my evenings moving large pieces of furniture (why they put steph and I in the moving furniture department, I WILL NEVER KNOW!), trying to to avoid my creeper co workers who try to hit on us, cleaning out people's freaking dog and bird and rat and whatever else cages, and other similar tasks. BUT- luckily I am with steph,and also there are a handful of people there who are awesome and we have a blast. So most of the time we can make it fun. But there are those moments when I'm like "this sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks... why can't I be behind a desk somewhere?" But then I always think about my parents who work so hard! and then I feel like a selfish brat and buck up! I mean seriously, you all know my parents, think about how hard they work... they're bomb.com.

Anyway, I know this is going to sound like a big suck up blog to my siblings hahahaha!! But it's not!! I'm just realizing some things as I get older that my parents have always taught me but it makes more sense when you actually experience it.

7 comments:

Emily said...

AMEN SISTER!
Isn't it funny (and also a slap in the face) when we realize that our parents were right all those years? I LOVE mom and dad for teaching us all those lessons, even though at the time we just thought they were being mean...they were preparing us for situations like this. I'm so ready for Easton to realize that I'm right...but I'm afraid that might take 20 years or so. I don't know how mom and dad have that kind of patience!

Anyway, mom's right (again)...things will work out one way or the other. You're totally going to graduate and if you really want to go to grad school, and put your mind to it, you'll totally get in! SILLY!

I love you, great post!

Ps: Really the DI isn't glamorous?

Carol and Bruce said...

Thanks Jen! It feels great to be appreciated.
I love you!!!

Danielle said...

You are so funny. I love that you said, "contrary to what to what you might believe, it's not the most glamorous job in the world". hhah. Really? It's so awesome that you and steph get to work together though. That does sound sucky to have to clean out rat cages...ewwww. I hear ya. I really do think that mom's are just always right (most moms anyway). I always tell Clay I'm excited to be a mom so that I can always know what's best:) Well, I'm sorry that some things are becoming irritating for you like roommates and job...things will get better I'm sure. I love you!!!

Jill said...

I agree about your parents. They are the bomb.com. :)

Jill said...

I agree about your parents. They are the bomb.com. :) It's both weird and cool how I'm beginning to hear myself sounding like my parents when I talk to Joseph. I have a few more glorious years before Joseph realizes I don't know everything. Good luck with the roomies and the job!

Courtenay Beth said...

Oh man seriously, doesn't it make you think about everything else our moms have said to us growing up? They're right, and how would we be good moms some day if we didn't learn that they actually are right?

I am SO glad you and Steph have each other...SO GLAD. I think it's hilarious imagining you two hefting a big couch or something. I'm sure you're the sunshine at the DI though...Love you Jizzle!

the splendid life of us... said...

Love this! I think you should share that list on your blog of how to be a good roomate!