Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Deseret Industries... Great for shopping, Horrible for working


I work at Deseret Industries, better known as the D.I. For many of us, all we know about the D.I is that every couple of months growing up, Ned Christensen would sit in a truck with a beanie on outside of the Stake Center that said 'Deseret Industries' on the side and our moms would make us go drop stuff off in it. I always thought that was weird... but now I get it. Anyway, that's besides the point. The point is- I hate my job. Remember last semester when I would always post about how much I LOVED my SRC job? Well ohhhhh how I miss those days and I can't wait for them to start up again in September.

I work in the section called "Large As Is". What that means in normal person words is that I sort through people's crap that is big. Like furniture, animal cages, bikes, crap like that. I clean it, price it, and then give it to Steph to go put on the sales floor. It is not rare that things are covered in animal hair, poop, or piss. I don't know if there is anything that infuriates me more. Ok maybe there is. How about when people bring things that are CLEARLY BROKEN and nobody would buy... like broken mirrors or broken car seats... SERIOUSLY??? I have to wear crap clothes every day and yes, steel toed boots along with my giant gloves. I work with 99% "special" people who things it's cool to talk all up in my face and to never bathe themselves. My supervisors assume that I am at the intelligence of those "special" people and treat me like one. "Great job, Jenni (said in the kind of voice i use when talking to a baby)... let's see if you can price something right twice in a row!!" OH PALEAAAAASSEEEEEE. I have no desire to please them because I'll never get a raise and if they get mad at me, I could care less because I'm quitting in 4 weeks and would LOVE to get fired. Today, the motivation they gave me was... "if you stay on task all day, I'll let you clean the floors before we close". GOODY! Oh, and it rocks on days like today when it's JUNE 11th AND IT'S SNOWING and people say... can you get this couch out of my truck for me... DO I LOOK LIKE SOMEONE WHO CAN UNLOAD A COUCH IN THE SNOW BY MYSELF?!?!?!?!?! okay, i realize that i'm just venting like crazy and it's getting a little out of hand so I'll stop.

I just keep telling myself that we all have to do our time doing things we don't love. And then I kick myself over and over for not just going home this summer like my mom said I should. But then I realize that I have Steph and she keeps my sane and I wouldnt want her to be alone here. And believe it or not, we have made a few friends at the good ol' D.I from the select 1% that can hold a conversation. when i first blogged about D.I. I believe I said that it was "not glamorous". I would like to change that to SUCKY, BORING, DIRTY, and NOT FOR ME!! I'm certain that this job has a lot to do with the weird bad moods I've been in lately and i hate it.

pheww, that feels better. don't worry guys. only one more month and i'll be in oregon for one week of it. yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

11 comments:

Kelly and Tyler said...

Oh my gosh!!! I thought the DI would be a fun place to work, but it does NOT sound like it! At LEAST steph is there or I'm sure you'd of quit by now!

So you're going home in the fall to work?!

p.s. 2 weeks!!

Emily said...

Oh man thanks for the laugh...I could barely make it all the way through, I was laughing so hard!

Like you said, at least you know you have your job back in September...there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Holy cow sis, you're awesome.

Lindsay said...

Oh man! Sounds like totally sucky! I have to admit i was a little suspicious of how upbeat you sounded when you said you were working there, but you never know. I worked at Dominos in college and LOVED IT. You should get a job at that big hamburger place you blogged about a while back. Man that sounds good right about now...

Anonymous said...

Gird up your loins Jenn things could get worse. then again if you did things might just get worse

Lanette said...

WOW. That's horrible. I'm sorry girl! I can't believe some people--taking dirty broken junk to DI like that. Not cool. And oh my heck--your supervisors? Wow. I'm proud of you for lasting this long. I worked as a dishwasher at the dorms for a month, and it wasn't nearly that bad, but I put in my 2 weeks after...2 weeks. I'm glad you have Steph there too...And that you're almost done. Love ya girl---you're amazing!

Jill said...

Yuck, yuck and yuck! What's up with (mostly) church members bringing broken and peed on stuff? That's horrible! And you probably could've been watering plants in Eugene, huh? Keep your eye on the prize; we can't wait to see you in a month! But hey, you can vent anytime.

Danielle said...

Oh my, this post was too funny. I really am sorry you have to go through all that, I am not as strong as you- I totally would've quit by now. That's so nice that you get to go back to the SRC next semester though. THANK GOODNESS! Well, I hope life is going well besides that. I love you!!!

Chad and Jessica said...

LOL......I feel so sorry for you, but the entire account of your experience was hilarious! Maybe you prayed to have more humility a few months ago, and this is what you got....lol...jk. Well, like you said, at least you have Steph. Hold in there!

Courtenay Beth said...

Jen! Freak...you are a trooper, and a funny teller of stories! Um the thing that grosses me out the most is the animal cages...sick! ANd okay I am sorry why the heck to they have you and scrawny little steph movine couches, beds, tables, entertainment centers...hello--I saw many much stronger hands there when I visited. BUt then again, maybe it's like working out and working at the same time, except you get to wear steel-toe boots and nasty gloves, and your gag reflex has to be suppressed much more often!

Okay I had SO much fun visiting the last few days, what a blessing. I LOVE snoasis and in case anyone is wondering, Jenni makes pretty amazing hash browns! I also love the park...and Baby Mama! HAHAHAHAAAA! And how you and Steph know everyone in rexburg! SO much fun, just what I needed! Love you Jen Jizzel!

AIP said...

What a spoiled brat! Perhaps you should consider some Christ-like compassion for those who are less fortunate.

Anonymous said...

UUUUMMMMMMMM. I am just a random person that stumbled into your blog. I am sorry to say that I thought your comments were incredibly horrible. I can see from your photo that you are young. Well I hope that you grow up soon honey because life will always suck for someone with such a bad attitude!