Monday, July 6, 2009

The 4th of July... at Wal-Mart

It was a great 4th of July. Obviously, there is not really anything quite like spending it in Janus Ct. with our neighborhood BBQ, dad's patriotic speaches, flag cake, and our private firework show at night. But, trust me, mine was eventful nonetheless, just in a different way. Michael's brother and sister in law and their kids (Robert, Tamara, Nathaniel, Benjamin, and LuCielle) came in to town to spend the weekend with Michael's grandparents and us, which was wonderful! They brought sanity to me after a long day at Wal-Mart, thank heavens for them! I had to work from 11-8... so all day and it was seriously the most eventful day EVER! If you're in for the stories... keep reading...

To start, I was 20 minutes late because of parade traffic, I should have known that was a sign that it was going to be a crazy day.

I showed up in my blue shirt with red and white accessories feeling nice and patriotic! I just get to work and I see a guy that I work with walk by. His name is Chip. I say, "Hey Chip!". He says, "Hey Jenni!" And he passes by and I thought that was all. Then I hear a noise. So I turn around to find chip collapsed on the floor. It really was scary. Managers rushed around him, and then I remembered that Chip has epilepsy. He had a seizure. He usually knows when they are coming and he goes to sit down, but this time he didn't make it and his head hit the cement floor- hard. Once he woke up, he tried to stand up and then fell again. It really was breaking my heart to see him this way. But, he's the bravest man ever. He got right up and went back to work with an ice pack on his elbow and head. Come to find out, the fall did split his head open and he was bleeding. He figures that he might as well stay at work and be productive with people who can help him rather than go home alone. What a positive attitude. I would have peaced out in a hot second!

So, I was a little frazzled from that whole experience, but I just went back to work. About an hour later I was checking a customer out, and behind them I could see a little boy, probably about 3, playing on the cart. My first thought, "WHY ARE YOU ALLOWING YOUR CHILD TO DO THAT?????" I see kids get hurt all the time and it scares me everytime. I just kept on with my business and then I watched that poor little boy fall head first onto the cement. It was the loudest thud I've ever heard and made my heard just drop into my stomach. Oh he SCREAMED bloody murder and his head swelled up like a melon within seconds. I coudn't quite tell if it split open, but I think it did. I was just imagining one of my little nephews and it made me so sad!!!! that poor boy. So, please- do not allow your children to play on the carts!!!!

As you can imagine, I'm super frazzled by this time. But didn't have much time to recover until the next event occured. The checker next to me was getting chewed out by a girl who couldn't have been more than 17 for not letting her purchase alcohol with her boyfriend who was over 21. Do they think we are complete idiots????? Not only do we get fined thousands of dollars for selling alcohol to minors, but we get fired. She was seriously stupid. I don't know anyone who seriously thinks that they can purchase alcohol before they are 21. Holy crap, what planet is she from!??? So, they went to the other side of the store, tried another checker, and got the beer. OHHH man was the cashier P.Oed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then, my wonderful fiance came to the rescue and took me on a wonderful 4th of July picnic on my lunch hour :). It was such a sweet escape. I love him.

BUT, once I returned, there was more waiting for me. I managed to spill a gallon of milk everywhere and while I was cleaning it up, noticed the cute little boy with down syndrom go down in the doorway. GOL- CAN THIS REALLY BE HAPPENING??? This one was pretty scary. The paramedics came. His pacemaker was having problems and his heart was functioning for the moment. It was really sad. He was down for quite some time. But, once he woke up, he jumped up so fast... it was kind of weird.

You guys, seriously- that all happened in one day of work. PHEWPH!!!!!!!!

Finally, 8:00 came and I walked across the street to meet Michael, his family, his friend and groomsman Dexton, and my roommates for the fireworks. THAT was the greatest part of my day. It's a pretty big event here in Idaho Falls and we had a blast playing games, eating, and watching fireworks. It was a really fun atmosphere. Michael's niece and nephews really are adorable. At one point, Benjamin said, "Aunt Jenni, can I sit on your lap and watch the fireworks". Aw, tender! So, all in all- it was a great 4th. Certainly a day I won't be forgetting anytime soon!

The fireworks with the music and everything make me choke up a little! I am SO grateful to be an American. We are so blessed in this free country and I love celebrating the 4th of July!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Well good thing you're used to seeing crazy people have seizures! Seriously I can't believe all that happened in one day...that's nuts! I'm scared of kids playing on carts too, I don't allow it.

Glad you had a good lunch break and awesome fireworks to top off your radical day!

Anessa said...

Oh man! I have already heard these stories in person but I just can't get enough! Wal-mart can be very entertaining.

And man are those kids lucky to have you as an Aunt!

Danielle said...

Wow...seriously? That sounds like an INTENSE day! Glad it ended well.

Carol and Bruce said...

That is one unforgetable day all right. I had a child fall out of the grocery cart once, scared me to death, thankfully he wasn't hurt. Glad the day had a happy ending.

It was good to feel good about America for one day, with all the bad press sometimes I forget how blessed we are. You should have heard Amanda sing God Bless America in sacrament meeting...oh my, AMAZING!!

Josh and Lauren said...

Girl, i love reading your entries. Sad day about seeing so many head-wounds...that is simply outrageous. but....you could handle it. amazing.

love you and i love the 4th of july too...mine was a bummer-but oh well! :) We should like...talk soon? call me girl.

Jill said...

Sheesh!!!! Jenni, you need your own reality show with all that drama! I'm glad none of it was your own drama and that everyone was ok.

And I'm glad you didn't have to work all night so you could do some fireworks!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

Holy SUH-MOKES!!! what a day!!! That totally blows Grocery outlet out of the water! so many scary events! GOL! that really would have FREAKED me out!!! I'm glad you had a fun time after work though! I LOVE the 4th, but your right. Its not the same without our janus ct. festivities!! LOVE YOU!!!

Megan and Greg said...

Oh my gosh. I can't believe that all happened one day. Yikes. I didn't realize you had col de sac tradition! But I guess we're always away for the 4th! Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad it seemed like everyone ended up ok after their falls. So scary.

Melanie said...

Sounds like it might have been better (safer) for wal mart to have closed down for the 4th of July! Just wait, one day, it'll be all YOUR OWN kids causing all that drama! Nick fell out of the cart once. I learned my lesson. Glad you have Michael to make it all better.