Sunday, August 8, 2010

The 24th Weekend is Awesome in Utah!

On July 24th, Pioneer Day, I have fond memories of stake picnics at the Thurston Chapel. There was usually some softball, hamburgers, tug-of-wars, and I remember looking forward to it. But I also remember my mom talking about how that was weak sauce compared to the 24th where she grew up... the beautiful Beaver Utah--home of the country's best tasting water. It's a big deal here in Utah. I mean, I got the day off of work! Emily had the genius idea of checking it out for ourselves this year since Beaver is right in the middle of Em and I. Oh man, was it EVER worth the trip!

You all know that Beaver is a special place to me because it is where my sweet Grandma Fern lives and my mom was raised there. So half of the fun of being there is spending time at Grandmas house and visiting with the family that still lives there. And just to add on to it all, the parade was FABULOUS and the games and exhibits in the park were wonderful as well!

Grandma was not happy with me for taking this picture, but I told her I'd get in trouble from my mom if I didn't.

The origional plan was for Michael to go stand in the street with Easton so he wasn't alone, but I think it became Easton standing with Michael so that he wasn't alone. I couldn't tell who was enjoying the candy throwing more. They were both adorable.The highlight of the parade was the grand marshals- Uncle Val and Aunt Ila! They were so adorable. I was sad my mom missed it! I'm seriously always amazed at how EVERY single person in that town knows my aunt and uncle. They deserved their moment of glory! And it was fun to watch them with their kids and grandkids- my cousins! I love this picture of Em with Caroline and Andrea, but I'm sad that I didn't get more of everyone else. They were all so sweet to us! They let us just barge in and play with them all weekend long-- thanks, guys!After all of the festivities in Beaver, Michael and I got to take the Rogers clan home with us :). Ohh it was so wonderful. I was slightly concerned when Easton asked "Jenni, what kind of toys do you have at your house?". But luckily, our grass was good enough to entertain him, because we quickly learned that our apartment is not kid friendly- sorry about that guys! Spending time with them is so special to me. Carly is giggling and walking and talking and I can't seem to get enough of her. I absolutely adore Michael and Easton's little friendship and love every second I get with Em, so a wonderful weekend it was indeed!

5 comments:

Emily said...

Why this post made me cry, I don't know but it did. I'm going to steal all those pictures for my post, I hope that's okay.

You guys were so awesome to come down there to be with us, AND to let us stay at your house. WE HAD SO MUCH FUN and you spoiled us like crazy cooking for us, and playing with my kids. THANK YOU!!!!!

Love you so much!!!

Carol and Bruce said...

It made me cry too, of course. It was just so great to see you all having fun in Beaver and I must say, "I TOLD YOU SO!" Now you know where to go for a good 24th of July. The first time I went to a pioneer day celebration in Carson City, I knew that outside of Utah people don't have a clue. Since it is Utah history, I guess that makes sense.

Carly's little outfit is perfect for the day and that picture of her and Em is adorable as well as all the others. I love those cousins of yours, they are so good to move over when we all show up and make us feel so welcome and you are right, Val and Ila were the perfect choice for the grand marshals. I think I'll steal you and Em's photos and the newspaper article I have and make a scrapbook page. I'm sad that I wasn't there too, thank goodness I had just been there.

I'm thinking it would be a great place and time for a family reunion. Loved the post!

Josh and Lauren said...

Aw, so tender!!!! That little Carly is sure precious! I hope I spelled her name right. Anyway-sounds like a FUN weekend!!!!

Melanie said...

How Fun!! I wish I was there too! Glad you are staying in Utah so you can still be that close to Em! Can't wait to see you next week!

Jill said...

Great pics, Jen! Beaver really does do the 24th right! Val and Ila and family have always been soooo welcoming and friendly to me, I love them. And fun times with the Rogers too. So jealous!