Sunday, April 1, 2012

My Baby's Jaundice Story

My precious baby girl's first week in this world was not very good to her. Or her mommy and daddy. The events of that week were so very upsetting to us and heart breaking. I cried every time I talked about it, which is why nobody knows about it. But now that it's all behind us, I want to record it. When you read this, some of you will think it's no big deal and that I freaked out over nothing. But it was a very big deal to me! Nobody wants to see their first baby in this condition the day after their born! Even though it was a somewhat minor problem, I sure have learned to be CRAZY grateful for my baby's health and my heart aches for those who watch their children deal with any kind of pain. I'll try to tell the short version of the story, hopefully you make it through this post!

In the hospital, the day she was born, the doctor told us that her biliruben levels were a little high and that he wanted us to get them tested again the next day. It didn't even phase me! Tons of kids get jaundice! We'll keep her in the sunlight and no biggie! So, the next day, she got her foot poked and here biliruben level was 14.5. I reported that to the nurse (idiot nurse), and she did nothing. Said nothing. So I assumed we were all good! Then, later that night, I looked at Harlow, and she looked like this:
Yikes! She's orange! I kind of started to freak out. I was telling my mom and Michael how I just felt uncomfortable with how she looked and how the nurse didn't give me any info. It was 9:30 PM by now, so I called the on call nurse. I told her that Harlow's level was 14.5, and she said "what?!, go to the emergency room". I of course, began crying instantly. My baby in the ER!? I hate that idea! She quickly called back and said just to go to pediatrics and that the doctor was going to meet us there. And to pack our bags because we'd be staying. I was a mess. That is upsetting news. We just got our baby home, and now we had to take her back!

They tested her again when we got there and her levels were up to 17 by this point. Over 20 is risking liver and brain damage. Her jaundice was bad. I'm so very thankful that my mom encouraged me to call the nurse. I'm so very thankful that I noticed that she looked worse. They then spent 2, count 'em-2, hours trying to get an IV in my angel. They tried every vein. They poked her OVER AND OVER and she screamed until she lost her voice. It was the most awful experience. This is 3 of the nurses who tried, the eventually had to get the NICU nurses and the FINALLY got the IV in her poor foot.
It's now 2 or 3 AM and they explained that she would receive fluids from the IV because the high biliruben had made her dehydrated. Then, she would sit under the bili lights all night. We could only take her out to feed her. Michael asked if this was the same amount of lights they would put on a normal jaundice baby, and the nurse told us that this was way more, stronger lights. She had them coming at her from all angles.
It was the worst thing EVER to see my little princess just stuck in that bed. We stayed up all night just waiting for feeding time so we could hold her and kiss her and remind her that life gets better!
To make matters worse, our nurse in pediatrics was CRAZY annoying. Oh my gosh, I nearly knocked her out. Seriously, I won't go into detail, but she was nuts. The next morning, the doctor came to check on us, her levels had gone down to 12 yayy! So, he said we could go home, but she had to be under lights at home. That sucked just as bad. She was trapped in a tiny box that was too small for her so she couldn't even stretch out her legs.
She stayed in her little box for I think 4 ish days. I don't know, it all runs together. Again, we could only take her out to feed her. The worst part was that her eyes had to be covered with a hat and a mask. It was so awful. Even if she was wide awake, I had to cover her pretty eyes. I felt so evil. She worked it though. She looked cute even with a mask on, and she was a perfect angel in the box. She just layed there and enjoyed the heat :).
I love this one, She's so precious, it's like she's trying to escape. Throughout this process, she had to have her levels tested pretty much every other day, so she has 4 poke marks in each foot. No wonder she hates her car seat, every time we put her in it, she goes somewhere where she has to get poked! The good news. It worked! Her biliruben levels are normal now and my little love is freeeeee! Like I said, obviously there are worse things, but all I wanted to do was snuggle this baby I'd been waiting to hold for 9 months and I just had to watch her in a box. Boo :(. Now, her skin is glowing and beautiful and we're having all kinds of fun :)

17 comments:

Megan and Greg said...

Oh Jenni. I can't believe you had to go through this. I would have DIED. It would have TRAUMATIZED me. It would kill me now and I can't even IMAGINE going through it after just giving birth! I'm so glad you took her in. I didn't realize jaundice could be so dangerous! The whole post I was freaking out and showing Greg the pictures and we were both mourning for you and the baby. So sad. I'm so sorry. I'm so glad it's over and she's fine. What a nightmare.

Emily said...

Oh these pictures make me so sad for you and her. I would have been a wreck; you seemed to handle it all so well. I'm glad mom was there.

I'm so glad she's doing better and you can hold her whenever you want to now.

That last picture is so cute and you look tiny!!!!
Love you both!! I hope we can see you some time in April.

Amy McFarlane said...

oh jenni i'm so sorry that you guys had to go through that! and it's even worse that you didn't have good nurses :( but i'm glad that you can enjoy her now out of her box! she's adorable and i bet she's just a sweetheart!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

we had to do the same thing only for 24 hours. JENNI- them poking her for 2 hours- I WOULD HAVE LITERALLY GONE INSANE. I went almost insane just with what maddie when through witht eh 24 hr thing- I seriously was balling my eyes out. I couldn't even take pics. I felt so bad for maddie. I CANNOT IMAGINE 4 DAYS OF THIS HELL! YOU SERIOUSLY ARE ON OF THE STRONGEST WOMEN I KNOW. SERIOUSLY. that the IV? oh my gosh. Jenni. this whole thing- 4 days- I just can't believe this wholoe post. I am so sorry you had to go throughthat. and so sorry for you little girl- sorry for bad typoing- m;addie is with me- ha. love you. I seriusly just can' tgewt over this.

Danielle said...

Oh my gosh- this would be HORRID! Sounds seriously like a nightmare! I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I'm so glad she is all better and you can snuggle her! poor thing! Both of you! SHe is such a cutie! Love you!

Chad and Jessica said...

I CAN't IMAGINE! Holy moly, I would be a WRECK! That would be so hard. I'm so sorry. I'm SOOOO glad she's okay now and that's all behind her, and I can't believe the 2 hour thing for the IV. AHHHHH! Most moms freak out when they get 4 shots at their routine vaccines, that's a bazillion times worse. OI! Im so glad it's over. What a crazy week.

Mal said...

Oh! Poor little Harlow. I would've been a mess, that's for sure. I was a mess when Enzo got his vaccines and that took less than a minute. I can't imagine 2 hours of listening to my baby cry. But I'm so glad she's all better now!!

Leanne Hill said...

OH MY GOSH. Poor little thing. That is so scary Jenni - I am so happy that you got her healthy! Good thing you were on top of it!

Carol and Bruce said...

I wondered if you would tell this story. It's hard to look at the pictures, the one of all the nurses makes me want to run and hide, again and the one of her IV just kills me.

I'm so glad she is through with all her stresses now and can just be her happy self.

Carol and Bruce said...

I wondered if you would tell this story. It's hard to look at the pictures, the one of all the nurses makes me want to run and hide, again and the one of her IV just kills me.

I'm so glad she is through with all her stresses now and can just be her happy self.

Erica and Spencer said...

Oh Jenni that is so sad! I totally know what it is like to have your sweet new baby poked and prodded. Landon had to have antibiotic treatments the whole time we were in the hospital and they tried and tried to get an IV in. They finally got one in his thigh and then when they brought him back from one of his treatments that IV had failed and he had one in his head. That was the saddest thing. His IV in his head failed before his last treatment so they had to get special permission to just inject the antibiotics into his legs. Between that and him having to be under the billi lights (which he absolutely hated) most of the time we were at the hospital I was just heartbroken and so happy to get him home.

These first babies are such a learning experience but they are greatly blessed by having the undivided attention of mommy.

Just think of how much you learned through that experience. If it happens with your next child you will know what to do.

Charlotte said...

so scarry!! Glad to hear that she is doing better! I seriously would have been freaking out!! I didn't even know Jaundice was that big of a deal!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

Ohhhhh my poor baby!!!! :( That made me sooo so sad to see her like that! The mask that she had to wear was just horrible!! The poor thing! The picture of that IV in her tiny little foot just makes my heart so sad!! I love that little Harlow and i am SOOOO glad that is all over!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that all!! It was a very hard time!! So sorry!!!!! Love you all!!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

Ohhhhh my poor baby!!!! :( That made me sooo so sad to see her like that! The mask that she had to wear was just horrible!! The poor thing! The picture of that IV in her tiny little foot just makes my heart so sad!! I love that little Harlow and i am SOOOO glad that is all over!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that all!! It was a very hard time!! So sorry!!!!! Love you all!!

Chalice Lindgren said...

I could feel your sadness for your baby while she’s in that tiny box. As moms, we don’t want to see our child in a situation like that. In fact, we don’t want them to feel any pain. Glad she you’ve seen her like that immediately before anything got worse. Anyway, do you already have a pediatrician for her?

Indian Crest Pediatrics said...

Sometimes, as parents, we’re left hanging by a thread when we feel helpless, and think that we can’t do anything but to wait and see what’s going to happen next. But the important thing is to have faith in the people who help our children get better, such as our families and the doctors.

Malachi Cates

Allan said...

To know more about the juvederm xc, you can contact an experienced juvederm xc delhi.