Sunday, January 11, 2009

Logical Road Signs

This is something I've been meaning to present to the world for an opinnions for some time now. When you are driving and you see a sign that says "Speed Zone Ahead", what is the first thing that comes to your mind? Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is that there is going to be a zone or area where there will be faster driving. This is a completely logical assumption, considering the fact that the actual definition of speed is 'rapidity in movement; swiftenss'. Notice that the definition says NOTHING about change or slow movement or anything of the sort, because that would be completely counterintuitive, would it not? Well folks, the sign "Speed Zone Ahead" actually means that you will be entering a zone where the speed is going to change to a slower pace. I KNOW- RIDICULOUS! Are you having as hard of a time wrapping your mind around it as I did? I would submit that those of us who are confused by the sign are the ones with a broad understanding of the actual definitions and meanings of words.

Now, let us discuss a very logical sign. "Reduced Speed Ahead". The definition of the word reduced is 'to bring down to a smaller size, number, extent, etc.'. Now, that makes PERFECT SENSE! When I see that sign, my first thought is.... Oh, the speed is going to be brought down to a smaller size, I guess I'll slow down. I love when I see these genius signs.

So, why... WHY do "Speed Zone Ahead" signs even exist? I hate them.

How did this all come up you ask? Well, when Steph and I were driving home to Oregon in July, I said to steph, "UHHH, why does it keep saying "Speed Zone Ahead" and then the speed limit goes down?! Steph called her dad to get to the bottom of it, and he informed us of the true meaning of the sign. I have been very concerned about it ever since.
Ok so I'm not REALLY that fired up about it... I just think about it sometimes, probably more often then I should. And mostly because I know that I should get it, and it probably is logical... I just don't see it :)

9 comments:

Emily said...

There really is no point in having both signs. Why not just have the one that actually makes sense? Now, I, being the incredibly acute and aware driver that I am, knew the meaning of 'Speed Zone Ahead', but I could understand how one could be confused. But really, does it make sense to have a sign that tells you to drive faster? Why not just have it say, 'You're Going Too Slow' or 'Drive Dangerously Ahead'?

I love that you're fired up about something...makes for a great blog.

Love you!

Chad and Jessica said...

Hilarious....I love making fun of signs!!! And you are so right! Reduced speed ahead makes sense, the other one can easily be misinterpreted....and isn't a sign supposed to be an easy way to get info about important, upcoming things? Okay....the signs that show the road is slippery, with those swiggle lines under the car are hilarious....it looks like your car is going to fall down some windy pit! Yah, that makes sense....lol.

Courtenay Beth said...

Okay, my first thought when I see "Speed Zone ahead" is WHAT? Why am I not driving insanely fast then? Am I NOT in a speed zone right now? And I am looking around at other cars kerplunking along at a normal pace, say 65, and I feel like informing the public in the freeway lanes next to me...HEY we can all speed right now! Hurry up, somewhere ahead we're not going to be able to anymore! There's a speed zone up there! am I right? You my darling jenni-lou are right spot on...makes NO sense!

Julia said...

They have got to keep the highway workers busy somehow. I dont know where the signs are made but it keep someone in work I guess... But you are totally right.

I was searching for pictures of gals in aprons for my blog site and am wondering if you would like to be featured tomorrow or Wednesday. It would include a link back to your blog and a mini bio. Plus entry into the current apron giveaway. I have a new site called The Apron Goddesses to promote cool apron makers and apron wearing. I saw the picture of you and your friend and thought it would be perfect.

Thanks,
Julia

Danielle said...

Well, I've never even thought of this. I guess I never REALLY contemplated the definition of SPEED. I, like Emily, am pretty much an awesome driver- somehow knew the meaning from the beginning. Yet, I'm feeling much less philosophical than you. But you're right- I think it's weird that they have both signs, meant to warn for the same thing.

Anyhow- we should do something. I'm good every single day this week, including Saturday. We could do brunch again, or just hang. Give me a call whenever (I think you are harder to get ahold of...so we'd have better chances if you just called me when you could). Love you!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

OK mall, I would like to inform everyone that i knew exactly what that sign meant and you fought me on it until i HAD to call my dad to get to the end of it! I laugh at it all! I don't know how i knew that but it just made sense to me, but i see your point too. it's ok, we all know what it means now! Ha haha but it IS funny that you blogged about it! That was a pretty hilarious conversation....and trip altogether! haha we'll have to do it again! i HOOOPE we can! hahahahahahahahahahahah :) love you!!!

Jill said...

"Speed zone" is a lame term, I agree. I guess it's supposed to mean that it's only a short stretch of road where you'll have to slow down, right? But it's still not self-explanatory enough for a sign. "Reduced speed ahead" is so much better.

Carol and Bruce said...

Hilarious!! I guess I just grew up with it but it is telling you that there will be a change in speed ahead, makes perfect sense to me. I do agree that reduced speed ahead makes more sense.
I love the blog and needed a good laugh.XO

Jenni said...

it's true. Steph knew what it meant. gosh... it still fires me up.

:)