Wednesday, October 24, 2007

You can't have a personal bubble in Exercise Science

So I'm currently enrolled in a class called Exercise Physiology. It's super good and really interesting, it's the first class of my college career that I feel is teaching me the stuff that I will really need to know to be a physical therapist or something someday. But- along with interesting comes super challenging and crazy. It stresses me out like nobody's business because uh... I actually am having a current "what am I going to do with my life" breakdown crisis. ANYWAY- that's beside the point. For this class, we have a lab once a week. It's way cool- there's only 8 people in the class and we learn how to do stuff like calibrate treadmills, hydrostatic weighing, find your respiratory exchange rate and all that good stuff. Now, I've come to realize that they people in my major if Exercise Science are the most open people and I LOVE IT! I don't know if there's anywhere else where you'll find a group of people who don't even think twice about being in swim suits in front of the whole class, announcing their weight and how much of it is fat to the world, and allow themselves to be hooked up to crazy machines for research... "all in the name of science" as a kid in my class would say. haha! Well, believe it or not I have become one of them. Last week they had us in our swim suits figuring out our percent body fat and then telling each other so we could compare data. but this week- this week was the entertaining one!

Before class I had to fast for 4 hours and then drink strait sugar water. GAG ME. it was about a cup of sugar in 2 glasses of water- i seriously had to lay down after so I wouldn't vomit. Next, i announce my weight and height and how fast I can run to the class. Then they hooked me up to the most awkward contraption possible and told me to run for 6 minutes at a pace I could hold for a half of an hour. Imagine... there's a giant mouthpiece in my mouth like when you go to the orthodontist, with a tube coming out of the end. There's a spit catcher, a part on my head to hold it all in place, and nose plugs so I can only breath out of my mouth. I tried to turn my head while i was running... not happenin!! If i did, I would have taken the computer with me. Once my 6 minutes are up, they pull the contraption off of me and the spit catcher dumps saliva allll down my shirt. So attractive. The point of this is to see what my rate of respiratory exchange is when eating only carbs. Don't worry- next week I have to fast and then drink 5 Tbsp. of strait oil to see what fat does! Once again... all in the name of science :)

Basically- I love my major! Other ones are sweet too, don't worry I'm not knocking other majors! You people are so gifted in those other areas that go completely over my head. I'm just sayin, I think exercise science is a major for the bold! haha! A major for people who don't get embarrassed or scare easy!

I tried to post a picture of what they contraption looked like but it's not letting me... grrr. so use your imagination

13 comments:

Emily said...

Dude, I can totally picture that contraption in my head. Sugar water is gross stuff man! But oil? YUCK!! Freak man, I do not love science...but I'm super glad you do, so that one day you can be my physical therapist/personal trainer and whip me back into shape.

Chad and Jessica said...

LOL....hilarious! As terrible as that contraption sounds, that whole experiment seems like so much fun. Your major sounds awesome too (that would have been my second choice), and I love the openness of everyone, seriously, it makes everything so much more fun when you can tell people funky things about your body and not have to even worry about it
. Hey, I kinda wanna hear the summary of the results. Which makes you go faster etc?

Danielle said...

Wow! That sounds so intense and fun. I'm glad you are enjoying it. I wish I could have fun stories about accounting. The best I've got is...the other day, my group and I tried figuring out this problem and it was so hard and then we realized we were deducting the wrong percentage for the MACRS depreciation table...hmmm exciting eh? Hah, just kidding. My major isn't that exciting, but I still like it. Did you have to run with that thing in your mouth infront of everyone? How silly.

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, that sounds CRAZY! I'm glad you feel good in your swim suit. That is not always easy. Rarely easy, I would say. I can't believe to have to work out after you've fasted. I wouldn't be able to do that. And drinking 5 TBS of oil? No thank you! Wow, your interests are indeed INTERESTING!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

oh my gosh that was soooo funny. I can't believe you did all that! I probably would have vomitted. I would love a class like that though. In college or high school I didn't know how much I loved science. You are a great writer. And I am sure I have said this before, but I love your pic that identifies you!!! you are sooo cute!

Josh and Lauren said...

okay, props to you girlfriend. i could never be in that class...i'm not a huge self-cautious person but people knowing the personals about my weight and stuff would freak me out...i mean, i don't REALLY know what my weight is...and i don't think i want others knowing. you know?? You're going to be the BEST physical therapist ever! :o)

P.S. I'm so jealous that you're so far into school, I feel so behind...oh wait, that's because I am! oy!! After the mish it's going to be major crunch time, and i'm being for real.

Love you.

Jill said...

That sounds fascinating to me, too! Way to jump out of your comfort zone in the name of science. It's great that you like the people in your class too.
P.S. Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

Mall i just wish i could see all of this go down! I know you tell me allllllll about it but it's just not the same!!! hahah "More Sugar" ahahahah i love you mall!!!!


LEMME SHEE DA BEBE

Brynne, Aaron and Cade said...

I know what that machine looks like. I've been there, done that and LOVED IT!!! I'm proud to know that you're following in my footsteps jenni, just joking but I do love that you're in Ex Science! BEST MAJOR EVER and i miss it so much! good luck on your ex phys test!

Brynne, Aaron and Cade said...

Ok--I just looked at the rest of your blog and all your cute pictures and Jenni, YOU'RE FREAKIN' HOT!!!!! How and where in the world did you learn to do your hair, your make up and dress so stylish? I could use a few tips from you my dear. Wanna give a work shop?

Lizzy said...

You have a blog! And I found it! And I plan on reading it often... all in the name of science!

Danielle said...

Girl, it's been like a WEEK since you've blogged. More please.

Lizzie said...

That's just crazy. I think it's so cool that you love your major. I wish I had majored in something like that. I think that will come in useful your whole life. Cute blog Jenni.